Monday, May 17, 2010

Technological Playground

The internet is evil. Sure it's a wealth of information. Sure it provides us with easy means of accessing all forms of media.

Sure it allows us to communicate with hard to reach friends. But it is full of some of the most time wasting, useless, procrastinating stuff ever imagined.

On a day-to-day basis I find myself distracted from school work, work that will get me a career and a life, with /mu/, youtube, cracked.com, facebook, Msn and Married to the Sea.

This is how technology impacts me, it deters me. It makes everything easier, more accesible and due to this, makes me lazier. Sure they may fill my head with information, most of it is usually useless. At what point in life will I need to name all of The Cure's albums in chronological order, or 7 celebrities who had badass careers before they were famous?

Despite this, all these sites are brilliant. Sure it may be procrastinating, but at least i'm having a good time.

Here are some of my favourite sites to spend countless hours on:

www.cracked.com
This is world renowned as one of the most incredibly procrasti-worthy sites. By the time you've finished one article, you can't wait to click on the next. It specializes in lists and feature articles.

www.27b/6.com
Again, much like cracked, by the time you've finished reading one article, can't wait to read the next. The site involves the trolling antics of David Thorne, now famous for the whole "Kate's Party" prank on facebook.

www.4chan.org/mu/
The amount of new music I have discovered on this site is unmeasurable. It's always good for a laugh and music discussion.

Webcomics
Webcomics take up a lot of my time also. Again, some of my favourites:

www.nataliedee.com
Crazy, colorful, surreal. Children's comics for adult's.

www.xkcd.com
Sarcasm taken to it's logical conclusion.

www.asofterworld.com
Dark, dark comedy, with heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment